TERMS OF REFERENCE
The purpose of the Executive Committee Terms of Reference is to ensure that the responsibilities and expectations delegated to the Executive Committee by the Board of Governors are clear and well defined.
The Executive Committee holds the following primary areas of responsibility:
- To act for the Board of Governors in dealing with any matters requiring attention in the interval between regularly scheduled meetings of the Board. Its authority to do so derives from a resolution of the Board of Governors.
- To act for the Board of Governors in considering Presidential and Vice-Presidential appointments.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above, the Executive Committee shall:
- Meet as needed to make decisions in contingent circumstances between regularly scheduled Board meetings. If necessary in such circumstances, the Executive Committee may speak and/or act for the Board of Governors.
- Review and recommend to the Board of Governors criteria for selection of the President.
- Recommend terms of reference and organizational structure of the Presidential Selection Committee to the Board of Governors.
- Oversee the Presidential Selection Committee through the process of selecting one candidate.
- Conduct an annual performance review of the President.
- Recommend an appropriate compensation package for the President to the Board of Governors.
- Through the President, conduct an annual performance review of the Vice-Presidents (the President will report to the Executive Committee on the performance of Vice-Presidents).
- Recommend appropriate compensation packages for the Vice-Presidents to the Board of Governors.
- Ensure adequate succession plans are in place for Vice-President and Associate Vice-President positions.
- Advise and assist the Board of Governors and the President in advancing the goals of the University’s strategic plan.
The Executive Committee is required to report on action taken at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Governors.
MEMBERSHIP & PROCEDURES
The Executive Committee is comprised of the Board Chair, the Chancellor, the President, and the Chairs of the Standing Committees.
The Board Chair acts as Chair of the Executive Committee.
Additional members may be appointed at the discretion of the Chair of the Board of Governors, with the assistance of the President. Appointments are made based on qualifications and interest, and to avoid potential conflicts of interest.
MEETINGS & QUORUM
The Executive Committee meets at the call of the Committee Chair as required.
Attendance by 50% of Executive Committee members is required to establish quorum.