The Executive Committee holds the following primary areas of responsibility:
- To act for the Board of Governors in dealing with any matters requiring attention in the interval between regularly scheduled meetings of the Board; and,
- To act for the Board of Governors in considering Presidential and Vice-Presidential appointments.
Without limiting the general responsibilities as described above, the Executive Committee shall:
- Meet as needed to make decisions in contingent circumstances between regularly scheduled Board meetings. If necessary in such circumstances, the Executive Committee may speak and/or act for the Board of Governors.
- Review and recommend to the Board of Governors criteria for selection of the President.
- Review the Presidential Search Committee Guiding Principles & Procedures and recommend amendments for consideration and approval by the Board of Governors (undertaken jointly with the Senates).
- Oversee the Presidential Selection Committee through the process of selecting a candidate.
- Conduct an annual performance review of the President.
- Recommend an appropriate compensation package for the President to the Board of Governors.
- Through the President, conduct an annual performance review of the Vice-Presidents
(the President will report to the Executive Committee on the performance of Vice-Presidents) and approve appropriate compensation packages for Vice-Presidents.
- Ensure adequate succession plans are in place for Vice-President and Associate Vice-President positions.
- Review (in open session) UBC Board of Governors policies as assigned by the Governance Committee.
MEMBERSHIP & PROCEDURES
The Executive Committee is comprised of the Board Chair and Vice-Chair, the Chancellor, the President, and the Chairs of the Standing Committees.
The Board Chair acts as Chair of the Executive Committee.
Additional members may be appointed at the discretion of the Chair of the Board of Governors, with the assistance of the President. Appointments are made based on qualifications and interest, and to avoid potential conflicts of interest.
Appointments are made, and reviewed, at each instance of changes in Board membership.
The Committee Vice-Chair is selected by the Board Chair, in consultation with the Chair of the Governance Committee.
The Committee Vice-Chair assumes the responsibilities of the Committee Chair in the absence of the Committee Chair, and may also be assigned additional tasks at the discretion of the Committee Chair.
The Committee will receive (through the Board Secretariat) additional and reasonable support for the assembly, assessment and reporting of information.
The Committee has the authority to engage independent counsel and other advisors, with prior approval from the Board Chair, subject to reasonable limits on resources available to the Board of Governors for these matters.
MEETINGS & QUORUM
The Executive Committee meets at the call of the Committee Chair as required.
Attendance by 35% of Executive Committee members is required to establish quorum.
Minutes of Executive Committee meetings are approved at the next Committee meeting or by means of electronic approval and are distributed to Governors and others authorized to attend such closed sessions as soon as practicable. Executive Committee minutes are confidential unless resolved otherwise by the Committee Chair.
A record of all agenda items considered and any resolutions passed during in camera meetings of the Executive Committee are approved as soon as practicable by the Committee Chair, are distributed only to those individuals who are authorized to attend such in camera sessions, and are confidential.
The Chair of the Executive Committee reports on discussion and any action taken at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Governors.
In addition to the above, procedures and practices of the Executive Committee are governed by Policy 93 (Open, Closed and In Camera Meetings of the Board of Governors) and Committee Meeting Rules and Practices.
The Board of Governors has delegated to the Executive Committee authority to approve the following reports on behalf of the Board of Governors:
- Performance Reviews & Compensation Recommendations – Vice-Presidents
- President Annual Performance Review Framework / Schedule
The Board of Governors has delegated to the Executive Committee authority to receive the following reports on behalf of the Board of Governors:
- President and Vice-Chancellor Performance Review and Priorities for Coming Year
- Succession Planning
POLICIES DELEGATED TO THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
|24||Extension of Appointments for Designated Senior Academic Administrators|
|31||Total Compensation for Executive Officers, Management Officers, Service Unit Directors Excluded from AAPS, and Staff Members who are Excluded from or not Represented by a Union or Association|
|34||Appointment and Extension of Appointment of Administrative Vice-Presidents|